Book Review: The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett
6:10:00 PM
Blurb:
A
teenage misfit named Hawthorn Creely inserts herself in the investigation of
missing person Lizzie Lovett, who disappeared mysteriously while camping with
her boyfriend. Hawthorn doesn't mean to interfere, but she has a pretty crazy
theory about what happened to Lizzie. In order to prove it, she decides to
immerse herself in Lizzie's life. That includes taking her job... and her
boyfriend. It's a huge risk — but it's just what Hawthorn needs to find her own
place in the world
Review: ★★★★★
I got this book via
NetGalley for a review.
This book deserves every
praise it gets. It definitely deserves five stars.
I have been staring at
the screen so intently to finish all 398 pages of the e-book that my eyes hurt.
But enjoyed every page of it.
The narration of this
book is so relevant that it was as if I was listening in to a close friend.
Every paragraph has the power to make you smile, cry, laugh, and even be mad.
It tells us that high school life is certainly not the fairy tale we make it
out to be. No prince charming in prom, no such thing as a forever happy prom
queen. Bad things do happen but life goes on no matter we’d like it or not.
As pathetic as Hawthorn
condone herself to be, she just was not. I felt so connected to her, and her
personality and perspective on life is so enthralling she could have just as
easily marched into my list of interesting characters. Her take on the world is
so different and amusing to read about; when other people saw a missing girl,
she cooked up the theory so convincing that the missing girl was just a
confused girl turned into a werewolf.
The story perfectly
describes how difficult it is in high school, it describes what it is like to
fall in and out of love, and most importantly it describes the family and
friends that will always be there for you no matter what. It may sound like a
simple heartwarming story, but it is magic itself.
A quote (as pointed out
by Annette Pollert- Morgan) really resonates to me as a reader:
“I knew all about
reading a lot. About how it could take you to a world that was better than the
real one. A world where there were adventures and mysteries and magic. Except,
of course, books ended eventually, and then you had to go back to being
yourself.”
I find myself
reluctantly coming back to reality after The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett
ended. I wanted more, I wanted to know what happened next. But I knew the story
has ended as I closed the book, it was time for me to go back being myself, and
to also remember what Hawthorn had taught me: Magic is everywhere in our lives,
there is no need to make it up, you’d only need to look out for it.

0 comments